Driving in Hot Weather
We’ve experienced a good few heatwaves in the UK, so it just shows that it’s always important to be prepared for any weather conditions thrown your way.
We’ve experienced a good few heatwaves in the UK so it just shows that it’s always important to be prepared for any weather conditions thrown your way.
Driving when it is warmer does come with its own considerations and there are a few things you can do to help stay safe in the sun. Here are a few tips to make your driving in hot weather easier for you and your passengers this summer:
- Cool your car before you enter. Park in the shade if you can, and open the windows or pop on the air-conditioning before you hop in so you can start your journey in a cooler setting
- Pack water for you and your passengers to keep hydrated in the warmer weather. On longer journeys in case of traffic, delays or breakdowns it would be good to be prepared with a bit of food, extra water in a cool bag, and even some handheld fans just to keep everyone that little bit cooler and more comfortable
- Make sure your car’s fluids are topped up. Engines can get very hot in warm weather and if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in traffic, they can get even hotter. Make sure your coolant is topped up and turn off the engine if you’re at a standstill. Make sure your windscreen fluid is also topped up so you have a clear view
- Check your tyres before you leave – as the temperature rises, the air inside your tyres will expand and could cause pressure and a blowout, make sure you check the condition of the tyres – check for damage, wearing and pressure, especially if you’re off on a long road trip
- Don’t forget about glare – make sure you’ve got a good pair of sunglasses on hand for any trips out in the car in the sun
Hopefully, these tips will help you out when it comes to taking the car out in the glorious sunshine. Stay cool and calm on the roads and remember to pop on the sun cream if it’s a hot day, you never know if you might get stuck somewhere and need to get out of the car to wait in the sun.
If you’re looking for your next wheelchair accessible vehicle to get out and about in the sun with, why not give us a call to see how we can help you. Give us a ring on 0800 121 66 22 to speak with one of our friendly advisors today.